Monday, November 10, 2008

Kinderbach - Piano for Your Little Ones


I have had the opportunity to spend some time looking over this online program for teaching 2-7 year olds music foundations and to play the piano. First, let me say that I am a pianist and have taught piano lessons from time to time, so I know a little about this subject and was a little skeptical of an online, web-based program to teach piano. However, after spending some time engaging in several Kinderbach lessons, and browsing through the whole first half of this program, I am convinced this is an extremely delightful and effective method for teaching very young children to play the piano.

Here is what Karri Gregor, creator and founder of Kinderbach, has to say about this program:

KinderBach is piano lessons for 2-7 year olds taught by DVDs, Activity Books, and CDs. Children learn the notes on the piano and staff by characters rather than letters. I have taught hundreds of students, and I know that your child does NOT have to be able to read to learn piano.

KinderBach not only teaches piano, but other factors of music. Music theory, note reading, rhythm, ear training, hand position and much much more!

KinderBach was designed to give your child the over all music foundation. Your child can take everything they have learned from KinderBach and apply it to another instrument or continue further with piano. KinderBach was designed to be a spring board, taking this information and just going to endless bounds with what they have learned!

My children at too old to be interested in Kinderbach, so I had to look at it from the perspective of how I think my children would have liked it when they were little, as well as from a teacher's perspective. I was one of those teachers who required children to read before beginning piano lessons, but I can clearly see that if you engage children in a different way than "traditional" piano instruction, it is very possible to teach them at a much younger age. Both of my children are very musical, but it came about more through listening and desire, than through my instruction (it is difficult to teach your own children a musical instrument:-).

As a homeschool family, I can see that Kinderbach would be a TREMENDOUS asset and addition to the very early education of our children. I believe they learn SO much more than just music, since they are following instructions, learning colors, and so much more. There are wonderful activity pages that go along with most lessons. And it is so much FUN for the little ones! I can imagine it would be difficult to limit them to just one session per day.

If you choose to use the online Learning Center with over 300 sessions included as well as PDF files for the printout activity pages, it will cost you $14.95 per month, billed monthly. That is a HUGE savings over paying a piano teacher about $60 per month (an average rate of $15/hour for 4 lessons each month). And if you choose to pay all of it up front, you can save over 50% of that. It is just $85.95!!! That is 60 weeks of lessons - about 2 years of instruction for just a little more than one month paid to a piano teacher! And don't forget the extra games, songs and coloring pages that are available, too! Ok, that savings is definitely worth it and this program is really great for 2-7 year olds. There is also a choice to purchases DVDs, CDs, and songbooks so that you don't have to use this on the internet, but that is a little more expensive.

Take advantage of their free trial of the first two lessons (weeks) and check it out for yourself. If you have children from 2-7 years old, I believe you will be truly delighted with this product, as will your children. And they will learn in such a fun and engaging setting!

No comments: