Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yummy, Frugal and Pretty Healthy Swedish Meatballs


Last week I was looking for a different recipe to try with ground turkey and I thought of Swedish Meatballs. So I searched until I found a recipe that sounded pretty good over at Epicurious, modified it and served a very delicious and frugal meal! Here is what I did:

For the meatballs, I used some homemade croutons from whole grain bread, ground in the blender to bread crumbs, plus about 1/2 cup chopped onion. Then I mixed together one egg, 21 Seasoning Salute (from Trader Joes) and about 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. I mixed this in with the breadcrumbs and onions, then mixed in the about 2 lbs. of ground turkey. I formed these into fairly large balls and then browned them in a skillet with some canola oil. After that, I put them in a baking dish, covered tightly with foil and put them into a 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.

While those were baking, I started the egg noodles to boiling.

Using the same pan, I added some more of the chopped onion and a little chicken broth to get up the drippings from the pan. Then I added the remaining 2 1/2 cups broth and brought to a boil. I stirred in a mixture of cornstarch and broth, whisking to mix and brought to a boil again. I removed from heat and added Worcestershire sauce, sour cream and dill.I drained the noodles when they were done, tossed the meatballs into the sauce and served over the noodles. It was delicious! For more Saturday Stirrings, visit Fiddle-Dee-Dee at It Coulda' Been Worse.
That's what works for me, for more ideas visit Rocks In My Dryer for Works-For-Me-Wednesday!

1 comment:

Farrah said...

That sounds wonderful!! We all love swedish meatballs but have never had homemade. Thanks!