Thursday, June 24, 2010

Great OLD Spanish Curriculum Find

I was recently trying to find a good Spanish curriculum to use for  a co-op class that would really help the kids learn to communicate in Spanish in a short period of time.  Both of my kids are fluent in Spanish, but since they have to take 2 years of foreign language, we thought we would take this opportunity to use our fluency to help others.

Well, I was digging around at Amazon.com to see if there was anything that would help me with just that and came across an old book from the 50s entitled Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish.  I read through the description and reviews, deciding I needed to see this book for myself.  After not having any success with finding it at any libraries, I decided to purchase it.  It is very reasonably priced, especially as far as Spanish curriculum goes.

The book arrived yesterday and I have spent a great deal of time looking it over.  I have to say how impressed I am with the method and sequence of how Ms. Madrigal approaches learning to speak, read and write Spanish!  She begins by telling the student that they already know thousands of Spanish words, referring to all the words that are literally the same in both languages, plus those that are recognizable enough to figure out the meaning.  She also starts right out with a Pronunciation Key right at the beginning so that students can begin pronouncing Spanish correctly from day one.

I am very excited to use this curriculum for our co-op classes, and since it such an unknown and quite old book, I thought I would share about it with you just in case you, too, might be looking for something a little different to teach your student Spanish.

No comments: