Thursday, July 03, 2008

Ground Beef Recipe - Chili Beef Stack


I have been very busy, so I have not been blogging as much as I would like to. But next week, I should be able to make up for it - my kids will be away for about 10 days on a missions trip to the Apache Indians in the White Mountains of Arizona. I know, it seems a little silly that missionary kids are going on a missionary trip to another place, but it is good for them to reach out to another different culture on occasion. (In case you are new here, we are missionaries serving in Mexico.)

The other day, I was reading through a ground beef cookbook (Sunset from 1965) that I got from my great aunt Rachel who is moving to PA. We went up to help her with her yard sale last weekend and she let me have as many cookbooks as I wanted! I was in cookbook heaven - I just LOVE cookbooks! I will share more about some of the really old, really fantastic ones I got on another post.

I came across this recipe and it sounded so unique and different that I just had to try it. And it was really good! My family voted that I make it any time! That is high praise here!

Chili Beef Stack

1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
1 1/2 lbs of ground beef (I used ground turkey, though:-)
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
2 Tbl. butter or oil ( I used coconut oil)
2 cans (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon of chili powder (I make my own mixture)
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic salt

Pancakes:
1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used a little more because it seemed thin)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbl. baking powder
1 Tbl. olive oil
Grated parmesan cheese (I used mozzarella cheese)

Saute' onion, green pepper, ground beef, and mushrooms in melted butter, stirring occasionally with a fork until meat is browned. Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic salt, and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, make pancakes as follows: Beat egg lightly and beat in milk. Gradually, stir in cornmeal, whole wheat flour, salt, and baking powder, and beat until batter is smooth. Blend in oil. Cook pancakes on both sides on a hot, greased griddle until golden brown. Makes about 12 pancakes, 4-5 inches in diameter.

For each serving, spoon meat sauce between and on top of a stack of three pancakes. Sprinkle with grated cheese. Makes 4 servings.

For more ground beef recipes, go on over to Frugal Upstate: Frugal Food - Part Four! She is featuring recipes with a different ingredient each week.

2 comments:

Michele @ Frugal Granola said...

This is really creative! I've made a similar "stack" recipe in the past, using tortillas and beans.

Blessings,
Michele :)
www.frugalgranola.blogspot.com

TJ said...

This sounds really interesting! I love the way it looks, would probably make the kids excited to eat it.