Monday, March 09, 2009

Baking: Italian Bread and Cinnamon Rolls


Over the past week, I have made several new "bread" items that I wanted to share since they turned out Great! I apologize that I failed to take photos of the process or finished products! I was busy and it slipped my mind:-)

First, last Saturday night/Sunday morning, I made Alton Brown's Overnight Cinnamon Rolls. I saw this on an episode of Good Eats and was inspired! I followed his directions completely, except for using freshly ground whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose.

The result was scrumptiously light and wonderful cinnamon rolls! I was concerned because mine didn't seem to rise as much as his did, but that didn't matter in the tasting. However, I believe next time I will increase the yeast to 3 tsp. to see if that makes a difference, and I will start earlier on Saturday so I can let it rise longer, too. Also, the morning "sauna" definitely makes a big difference, so don't skip that step, even though it makes the time about 1 hour from start to finish in the morning.

Then, on Friday, I made 10 loaves of Crusty Whole Wheat Italian Bread for our church dinner on Sunday. I have never made Italian Bread before, so this was rather brave (or foolish:-). But they turned out great! I quadrupled the recipe (I can make 4 loaves in my mixer at a time) and then made 2 1/2 batches. I followed the ingredients exactly and the only things I did different were because I forgot: I didn't make the slashes across each loaf with a sharp knife and I forgot to brush with water and sprinkle with whole wheat flour before baking. But they came out great, so it must not be too important. Then on Sunday, we spread each loaf with whipped garlic butter (homemade, of course) and baked in foil for 20 minutes at 425 degrees! They got rave reviews and even a few new orders for bread!

Try these recipes and let me know how they are for you! I can't wait to make more! And for more great Kitchen Tips, visit The Finer Things in Life where Amy is hosting Kitchen Tip Tuesday for Tammys Recipes.
You can also find more recipes and kitchen tips at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday over at Blessed With Grace, and Tasty Tuesday at Forever, Wherever!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are brave to make so much bread for a church event! I'm so afraid of bread making. I'm trying to overcome it, and I do love crusty bread. I'll save your recipe for one of the days when I'm feeling cofindence in my cooking abilities! It sounds so good! Thanks for joining us for Tasty Tuesday!
~Kim

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Thanks for the recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Stephanie said...

I love love love homemade bread. My daughter (14) saw that cinnamon roll episode and treated us with some last weekend. They were so incredibly good!

Anonymous said...

Wow -- 10 loaves in one day. That is a serious bread baking marathon!