Thursday, September 25, 2008

Homemade Sloppy Joes

Quite a number of years ago, I wanted to make sloppy joes but didn't have a can of sauce. I posted a question on a board somewhere (can't remember where) asking for a recipe to make from scratch and someone replied very quickly. And I haven't bought the canned sauce again since!

Every time I make it, I change it a little depending on what I have on hand and what I feel like (spicy, mild, etc.), but here is a general idea of my recipe:
2 lbs. ground turkey or lean beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
Optional: chopped green or red pepper, jalapeno
1 can tomato sauce
2 T worcestershire sauce
2 T dijon mustard
2 T honey
2 T cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Brown the ground meat and onion. Mix in all the other ingredients. Allow to simmer for at least 15 minutes to thicken sauce. Serve on homemade whole grain buns with a slice of cheese.
My family just loves these! And they are healthy and wholesome, too!

If you would like more kitchen tips, check out Kitchen Tip Tuesdays over at Tammy's Recipes.
For more great ideas, check out Make It From Scratch where creativity and frugality meet!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining the Homesteading Carnival this week! Please stop by and let your readers know you’ve been included!

Stephanie Appleton said...

I started making my own a few years ago too, and couldn't believe actually bought the stuff! It is so easy. I like chili powder in mine!

Thank you for participating in Make it from Scratch this week.

Sonshine said...

yummy! I don't make my sloppy joes using a can of sauce either. :) I take chili powder, a squirt of yellow mustard, and a can of tomato soup and every once in a while shredded carrot for sweetener to make mine up.

Thanks for sharing!:)