Sunday, September 07, 2008

An Old Fashioned Sock Monkey


My littlest nephew has a birthday coming up this month, so I decided to make him an old fashioned sock monkey. I did a little searching online and found the Rockford Red Heel Sock Company where I bought a package of 2 pairs of socks (might make him an elephant for Christmas:-) and another site with the instructions. However, since I wanted him to have a hat, I followed the old fashioned instructions which use the toe for the hat (and the tail is still PLENTY long:-).

It didn't take me very long - probably a total of 1 1/2 hours - and is a great toy for my little 2yo nephew! I have also purchased a couple of sock monkey story books to send along with it. I can't wait to hear how he likes it - he seemed to really like monkeys when we visited a few weeks ago.

I always feel good when I make gifts myself from scratch. What about you? Do you enjoy making gifts? If so, what are some of your favorites? Leave me some comments with ideas and maybe I could do a post with a list of ideas for Christmas gifts!

For more creative "homesteading" ideas, visit The Homesteading Carnival #63: The Proverbs 31 Woman Edition hosted by Miss Amanda over at It's A Learning Experience.

5 comments:

GreenStyleMom said...

It came out so cute! It is nice to know it didn't take too long. I think I'll try one with my kids.

Gotcha for the MIFS carnival tomorrow. Would love a link! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That is just too cute.

Anonymous said...

Lovely idea and gift. Good job!


(Seen in Make It From Scratch Carnival)

RecycleCindy said...

How cute and what a lovely MIFS project to share this week at the Make It from Scratch Carnival.

Stephanie Appleton said...

Sooooo adorable!