Monday, December 29, 2008

All About Spelling

For starters, I want to let you know that I have tried several spelling programs, made my own, used those included in my unit studies and used none. I don't believe in using a formal spelling program until around 3rd or 4th grade, when your child can write well. Up until that time, I believe they learn alot of spelling just from reading.

Ok, with this explanation given in advance, I want to tell you how impressed I have been with All About Spelling! This program is set up in such a way as to not be tedious for the child that is not yet comfortable with a lot of writing. It is creatively put together so as to teach spelling without a bunch of repetition and copy work. There are games to make it fun and smaller children can use magnetic letter tiles to spell words rather than always writing them out.

Since my children are older, we quickly reviewed through Levels 1-3 and began working on Level 4. In the first several lessons, there were spelling rules that I had never heard of!! And I am an excellent speller (spelling bee winner and all that:-)! There was some prep work of cutting that they have eliminated by making the cards perforated - so that is a HUGE plus! You have word cards that you can use to keep track of words that your child still needs to work on, as well as Phonogram Cards with all the sounds so you can keep reviewing and keep track of what your child has mastered. All About Spelling brings together the three pathways to learning - auditory, visual and kinesthetic. There is a built-in review system and reinforcement activities to ensure that students retain what they learn and how to apply it in practical situations.

And this program is very reasonably priced! They range between $29.95 and $39.95 for a full year set, which includes the Teacher's Manual, as well as the Student Material Packet. You will need a Student Material Packet for each child to keep track of their progress, but these are only $12.95 - $17.95 each. You will also need to purchase a set of Letter Tiles ($9.95) and their Magnets ($5.95) one time to use with all of your children. The last spelling program I purchased was almost $100!! So this is very reasonable!

They have sample lessons on their website so you can see how it is laid out. Each lesson is very short and simple so spelling won't take a lot of your time each day. And because of the multi-sensory approach, it is much more appealing to all types of students. All in all, I am very impressed with this spelling program and will be continuing to use it with my kids! If you are not thrilled with your current spelling program, I challenge you to check out All About Spelling and see if it isn't just the fit for you!

No comments: