Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Foolin' Around - Kitty Litter Cake!


Since two Wednesdays ago was April Fool's Day and I have a reputation to uphold, I scoured the internet to find another food prank that I could pull on my kids. Well, I found one but couldn't figure out how to pull it off without the kids seeing the preparations. After all, they are with me all day since we homeschool:-).

On Wednesday evenings, our church's Youth Group meets at our home and both my kids are involved with that, so I decided we would do this prank on the Youth Group instead and all be in on the prank together. So we bought our supplies and made up the Kitty Litter cake and then just left it sitting on the table near where they enter our house.

It was really funny because most of them tried to pretend they didn't notice the "kitty litter", complete with Tootsie Roll "poop", sitting there. So then I had to point it out and explain it was April Fool's Day and that was their snack. Needless to say, very few of them partook of the cake:-) But it does taste really good, if you can overcome the queasiness in your stomach:-)

Well, it was fun and I enjoyed freaking them all out! And I upheld my reputation, too. Some of the previous years I have done the Meatloaf cupcakes and the pound cake grilled cheese. My children recall these with very fond memories!

Just a note: I am very careful to never pull a prank on my kids that will upset them in any way. It has to be totally funny for all involved and not cause them to feel betrayed by their mom. So if you want to do something really fun for April Fool's Day, check into some of the food pranks or other silliness you can find on the internet. There are great ideas out there!

No comments: