Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Things My Momma Taught Me

Today would have been my mother's 69th birthday. That is, if she had not died 20 years ago. My mom was an amazing woman and left us all too soon, but I have so many wonderful memories of her. I also have a lot of unanswered questions, but those will have to remain unanswered for now because there is no one left to answer them. I encourage you to ask all the questions and learn all the family stories while you have the chance. You never know how much time you will have with your loved ones.

My mom died from breast cancer that metastacized to all the bones in her body very quickly. That year was really rough, but my mom was such a witness to so many during those last days. This poem I wrote during that tough time and wanted to share it with you in tribute of her today on this her birthday.

The Things My Momma Taught Me
by Erica Burgan

When I was young my momma taught me
All the things a momma should.

But as I grew and watched her life,
The lessons really began.

I watched my parents dedicate
Their lives to God in everything

And stand for Him and teach of Him
To others every day.

I learned that every decision,
Whether critical or small,

Was placed in God's hands,
For ours are far too small.


When I first fell in love and thought
My heart was gonna break,

My momma taught me how to love
In spite of circumstance.

And when that love had blossomed
And was nurtured by a man,

My momma taught me how
To be a woman in love.

She taught me how to "fight a good fight"
And come through more in love,

And Momma taught me how to love
When emotion isn't there.


When my daddy died,
My momma taught me how

To be strong in God, to reach out to others
When your world seems to fall apart;

To love so deeply and cherish the memories
That no one can replace.

On the brink of losing everything, my momma still gave
Of anything and everything she could.

She provided refuge for another family in need,
While all around her things were crumbling down.
And when she lost the house
That she and Daddy built,

My momma taught me how
To trust in God for everything-

To lean on Him, not earthly things,
For my security.

And still my momma always
Kept on giving of herself.


And when I ventured out in life,
Became a married woman,

My momma taught me how
To really find myself.

She taught me how to be who
I really am deep inside,

To show the world the "real" me,
No matter what the price.

She taught me and encouraged me
To follow God's leading no matter what others said,

And trust my heart when decisions
Became too hard to make.


And through adversity or calm smooth sailing,
My momma taught me how to laugh,

No matter the circumstances around us,
She always had joy in her heart.

So many silly times we spent
Giggling and laughing together -

Together - that's what really counts in this life!
The time that's spend together
Is the most precious time of all.

No matter whether good times or bad,
We were always there for each other.

Together - that's what mattered!

And much too soon the lessons
Started coming to a crescendo

As disease attacked and weakened Momma so.
But still she stood stronger
Than anyone I know,

And faithfully served and shared her God
To any who would listen.

As people came to visit
As her body lay in bed,

She touched their lives and ministered
To them - not they to her.


Not many people understood
Her strength and hope in God,

Some people even criticized her faith -
How small their God!

I know my momma's God
And He is greater than we can imagine.

He planned her life, her every hour,
He even planned her death.

As she followed His footsteps one by one by one.

Her eyes never strayed from His face
As her strength began to ebb away.

I couldn't always be by her side
In person those last days,

But it was OK for my momma and me,
Our love kept our hearts entwined.

My thoughts are never far away
From the things my momma taught me.

I use them every day I live - a living dedication,
To a lady who lived totally for God
And loved completely.


And in the final chapter of her life on earth
(only the beginning of eternity, though)

My momma taught me the greatest lesson,
The hardest lesson, of all -

My momma in her quiet, gentle, strong and loving way -
My momma taught me how to die
To live with God for eternity,

To leave behind a legacy
In family, friends and loved ones,

A banner to a single life lived wholly, totally for God!

I love you, Momma!!

2 comments:

Scribbit said...

I love your poetic abilities--and what a wonderful tribute!

Antique Mommy said...

I second what Scribbit said. I love your poetic style and the tender sentiment.