Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Crunchy Waffles

I have recently acquired a waffle iron, so I have been trying out different recipes for whole grain waffles. The first batch had cornmeal and got mixed reviews because they tasted a little like cornbread. Not a bad taste, just strange. The second batch was good, but not very crunchy. The third batch, I came across a recipe on Food Network that I liked and an article about what makes waffles crunchy (by Pamela Anderson over on Fine Cooking.com) and adapted the recipe a little. They were CERTAINLY CRUNCHY! Ok, maybe a little too crunchy, but at least now I know how to solve the dilemma. Next I am going to try the second recipe with some alterations to increase crunchiness. So here are the things I learned about making waffles crunchy:
1. Add cornstarch to the batter (as much as 1/4 cup to 3/4 cups flour to equal 1 cup flour)
2. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees when you preheat your waffle iron, then put the finished waffles right onto the oven rack to keep warm and crisp up a little more.
3. Use oil instead of melted butter - makes for crunchier waffles.

You may want to try one or two of these at a time so as not to have waffles that are TOO crunchy. But the tricks definitely work!

For more Kitchen Tips, go over to Tammy's Recipes.

No comments: