Friday, April 04, 2008

A Frugal and Crafty Wedding Gift Idea

The daughter of another missionary family was married last weekend up in San Diego. They are dear friends of ours, so we wanted to give their daughter and her new husband something special, but still frugal - not much budget room to work with. So my ds and I made this lovely wall plaque for them.

We bought to bevel-edged wooden plaque at the craft store and then my son wood-burned their new family name and the year, as well as the flowers I drew for him. This is his new hobby and he is doing a tremendous job!

Then I painted and "washed" the plaque to give it some color and a rich tone. A couple coats of clear spray acrylic and voila! A beautiful and unique wedding present!
I know that I sure would have loved something like this when I got married, so I hope that they enjoy it as well.

For more Frugal tips, go over to Biblical Womanhood. And for other crafty ideas, check out Sew Crafty Friday over at Waiting For Him.

7 comments:

Terri said...

Beautiful! I especially love the flower and that is a lovely gift.

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice gift!! Beautiful.

Queen of Carrots said...

Somebody did something similar for us, only they inquired to get our favorite Bible verse first and had that burnt on the plaque, too. Also they thoughtfully did it in our wedding colors, which were a safe pick to match our house. Very special!

Anonymous said...

That is a really great idea. My uncle made a similar one for me in 1981 and I still hang it up in every place I live.

Niki Jolene said...

How cute!

:)

CC said...

super cool!!

Mom2fur said...

That's a great idea, and you know they won't get a duplicate of it, LOL!