Saturday, April 05, 2008

Saturday Stirrings with Pizza Burgers

This is my first time to join Saturday Stirrings over on It Coulda' Been Worse and I haven't posted a recipe for awhile, and since I don't have any new photos of dishes I have made recently (need to remember to take photos!), I thought I would reprise one of our favorites - pizza burgers! This was originally posted back on February 19, 2008.

My mom made the best pizza burgers in the world! And now I do, too. My family LOVES these and begs me to make them. They are SO easy and now that I use my whole grain buns and ground turkey, even healthier. So here, for the first time on the internet, the secret recipe!

Mix together one pound of ground meat (I prefer turkey, but beef is classic), one small can of tomato paste and one cup of grated parmesan cheese. Then spread this VERY thinly onto your buns halves.

Pop these under the broiler for about 5 minutes, until just brown. The meat cooks very quickly because it is so thin. Remember, it is red because of the tomato paste.
While you are waiting, slice up some tomatoes and get your cheese slices ready.
When the meat is cooked and slightly browned (be very careful not to burn them),
top with a tomato slice and a slice of cheese on each one (unless you are like my son and don't like tomatoes, in which case he just gets cheese).
Pop these back under the broiler for just a minute or two (watch closely so they don't burn) until the cheese is just melted around the tomato slice.
Enjoy!

My children never got to meet my mom, but through recipes like this, they get to share in the nostalgia and hopefully get to know her just a little.

2 comments:

The Apron Queen said...

Oh. These sound easy & yummy! My kinda food!

For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

Unknown said...

Wow, I never would have thought of making pizza burgers this way! Ingenius!

Thanks for sharing!