Monday, February 11, 2008

Breakfast Pizza


Ok, I did make Breakfast Pizza today and it turned out great! Here is my recipe adapted from a recipe I found over on the BreadBeckers website:

Pizza Crust
1 cup warm water
1 tsp. Sucanat
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. Olive or Canola Oil
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (freshly ground)
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 1/2 tsp. instant yeast

Mix ingredients in mixer with dough hook for 5 minutes until soft dough forms. If too sticky, add a tiny bit more flour. Grease or spray a bowl with canola oil and put dough into, coating all sides. Cover with towel and let rise for 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees. Form pizza crust with dough on a pizza stone, making edges a little higher to contain egg mixture.

Pizza Filling/Topping:
1/2 lb. ground turkey sausage, browned
1 cup shredded cheese (or perhaps a little more)
1 cup fresh baby spinach
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
4 eggs (I used leftover eggwhites from the Key Lime Pie I made yesterday)
2 Tbsp. grated parmesan cheese

Top dough with sausage, cheese and spinach. Combine milk, salt, pepper and eggs, stirring with a whisk. Carefully pour egg mixture over the sausage mixture on the crust. Sprinkle with parmesan. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes or until crust is browned.

My gang really loved it - in fact, my son gave me an ovation after tasting it! I guess this will have to become a regular breakfast option here. I just have to plan ahead to save time in the morning:-).

Sound Off: What is your favorite breakfast recipe?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This looks really good!

I am not a morning person...wonder if I could make this and reheat for breakfast, hmm!?!

Thanks for the recipe, and I looked your buttermilk primer too!