Sunday, February 24, 2008

Homemade Sweet Potato Gnocchi



The other day, my daughter and I decided to make some sweet potato gnocchi. This is only our second time to make gnocchi, but you can be sure it won't be our last. It turned out wonderfully yummy and not very difficult at all. I have put together some photos so you can see the process. I think I may try spinach gnocchi next!

Ingredients:
2 (8 oz.) sweet potatoes
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 egg
2 cups flour

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake sweet potatoes for 30 minutes or until soft to the touch. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
2. Once the potatoes are cool enough to work with, remove the peels, and mash them. Blend in the garlic, salt, nutmeg, and egg. Mix in the flour a little at a time until you have soft dough. Use more or less flour as needed (I used about 3 cups).

3. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. While you wait for the water, make the gnocchi. On a floured surface, roll the dough out in several long snakes, and cut into 1-inch sections. You can run them over the back of a fork to make indentations to hold the sauce better.
Drop the pieces into the boiling water, and allow them to cook until they float to the surface. Remove floating pieces with a slotted spoon, and keep warm in a serving dish.

Serve with butter or cream sauce. (I made a homemade Alfredo Sauce with cream cheese, milk, butter, parmesan cheese and sour cream).
This was really comfort food, even though it was the first time we had ever had it. Very delicious and fun to make together with your kids!

1 comment:

Kirstin said...

Oh Yum! I am going to try these...I absolutely love gnocchi (my moms family is Italian). I have had pumpkin filled ravioli and those are pretty amazing as well. But I will try these. Thanks.