Saturday, February 16, 2008

How to Save Money with a Gallon of Milk


I have decided to try a couple of things that I have heard about in the last couple of weeks - homemade buttermilk, yogurt and half & half. So I started with one gallon of whole milk for $2.89, one quart of buttermilk for $1.89, a cup of heavy cream for $.50 and 3/4 cup of plain natural yogurt for about $.50 (total $5.78).

Following this recipe for buttermilk, I made 3 quarts. And with this recipe for yogurt, I made 2 quarts. I found on the internet that if you mix 1 cup heavy cream with 3 cups milk, you will get an equivalent to half & half (my husband's preferred coffee creamer). So I made a quart of half & half, too.

Normally, this quantity would cost:
3 quarts buttermilk $5.67
2 quarts yogurt $4.18
1 quart half & half $2.19
TOTAL $12.04!!!

That equals a savings of $6.26 for only about 10 minutes of work!! And how good and homemade the products are! To me, that is what frugality is all about:-).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas, I am always looking for ways to save money on dairy items, they are so expensive.

Kelley said...

That is amazing! I have got to try that for myself. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips!

I've been making yogurt, but now you've got me all excited to try buttermilk-used alot around here!

Blessings 2 U N-return!

Mrs. Taft said...

Great job! That's amazing :)

Miranda said...

Great Job! I used to make buttermilk that way and had forgotten about it! Thanks for the reminder.
I also buy a gallon of whole milk and water it down to use for cooking purposes. I used powdered milkin the past, but it is too expensive now!